Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ultimate Direction Fast-Draw Plus Handheld!!

As most people know by now I've had quite the rollercoaster ride with my previous handheld water bottle. So going off and getting another one wasn't number one on my list of priorities. But a few weeks ago, I finally decided it would be a good idea as I was packing for my 50 miler outside Little Rock. Below is my review for the Nathan Ultimate Direction Fast-Draw Plus Handheld bottle.. (Say that 3X fast!)

Ease of use: 4/5
I've had issues with handheld bottles in the past, but I finally gave in and purchased a brand I haven't tried before. The Nathan Ultimate Direction Fast-Draw Plus. I gave it a "4" for ease of use out of "5" because they have a new "fast-draw" component. At first it was difficult to use because you have to really pull on it to get it out. I have to admit is it nice that it doesn't leak unless you're biting down on it. Regardless it's still a bit annoying, but is worth the effort. In the strap there is a zipper pocket which is nice. It's not huge but will hold two gels smashed in.



Quality of Construction: 5/5
So I've only taken two good falls with this bottle, but BOTH were successful! No broken straps! I was pleasantly surprised to find the bottle in tact after I got up off the ground. I will update this in a few months after really putting the bottle to good use on some tough trails.

Fit: 5/5
After using the Amphipod bottle I thought I'd never find another bottle as comfortable. The Amphipod had a curved type design that fit the hand very naturally. The Nathan bottle is still round. After about 2-3 runs I've found the bottle JUST as comfortable and fitting just as well. The strap is actually more comfortable than the Amphipod strap.

Comfort: 5/5

Again, the strap is what makes this bottle so comfortable. It's very soft and forms to the hand perfectly. I like the mesh to help everything dry out.

Adjustability: 5/5

There is one strap that comes right down over the hand, that way you can tighten the bottle down in your hand. The strap seems to hold well. Only thing I notice is that the strap is really long, so I have to tuck it under my hand strap to keep it from flopping around. No big deal.

Durability: 5/5
Again it's help up to two good falls. The construction seems very durable to the eye.

Value: 5/5
It's actually a bit cheaper than the Amphipod bottle!

Appearance: 4/5

Like most running bottles I don't find this one that attractive... but is that really why we buy these things!? No. All in all, it doesn't look too bad, and does it's job!

Performance: 4/5

This thing has performed great so far! The only reason I'm giving it a "4" outta "5" is because the whole fast draw nipple like thing. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure over the next few months I'll get used to it.

Overall Summary: 5/5          

I can't help but love this bottle right now. I came into it without much hope, but after a few runs and a good 50 miler I'm 100% happy with it. My biggest concern was it breaking like the Amphipod when I fell on it hard, or the round bottle shape not being comfortable in my hand for long distance. I've fallen hard twice and it didn't break, and I've run 50 miles with it and it was still comfortable. The strap that goes over your hand is a soft mesh material which feels great and forms to the hand perfectly. If there was one thing I could change it would be a bigger pocket for storing gels/goodies... Maybe that'll change in the next version!



HERE is the link to the Nathan website. I couldn't find this specific bottle on their website for some reason, but did find it HERE on Amazon. I bought mine at REI. If you've tried other Nathan products let me know what you thought! I'd love to hear about other good.. heck.. even bad experiences!

I also received some great news today, but want to hold off to share till all the specifics are ironed out! Till then I hope everyone is training hard and living harder :)

_Jacob_

5 comments:

  1. Is the bottle insulated? I find that I heat up water quickly with handhelds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cut a beer koozie and slide it up on the bottle... Keeps the drink cool and your hand doesn't freeze when you fill it with ice... Jacob... We can compare nathan handhelds! Mine has handled a few good crashes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar Nathan bottle. I love the strap, it is the most comfortable hand-held I've used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't find this bottle on the Nathan website because it isn't a Nathan product. It's an Ultimate Direction product.

    ReplyDelete