Saturday, December 8, 2007

An elite??

So. Ive had something on my mind the past few days, and sooner or later im going to have to think about... or even more... make a decision about it. Something I started working towards last season was getting my elite license. So far ive 2 out of 3 races that it requires to get it. My third race is going to CapTex 2008. Now I dont want to jump to any conclusions, but lets assume I get my top 8 there and now I have my 3 I need to get my elite.

Lately ive been debating whether I really want/deserve an elite license. Personally I feel far from being "elite". I feel like ive taken the easiest possible route... (by getting my top 8s at easier.. local races, not bigger national races. i.e. 70.3s, things like that) For example I drove all the way to Houston this past October to race Try Andys. A SUPER sprint that I knew would 500+ people. I took 4th overall.... and im going be honest... It wasnt that hard to take a top 5. So heres the question Im asking? Do i really deserve an elite license? Lets face the facts... Say I do get it, then what happens? I know.... I get my ass whomped by other elites. The upside of this? Racing against faster people can only make you faster right? Well... at least I think so anyways.

This season my final ranking for the SMW triathlon region was 97th overall, and 6th age group. Does that sound deserving of an elite license? Definitly doesnt sound like it....

So... lately ive been thinking instead of focusing on getting that Elite... maybe I should focus on winning my age group for the SMW region, and trying to get my regional elite ranking. (top 40 overall regionally) Of course before all of this everyone knows I want to Kona qualify.

I think the only reason ive been wanting to get my elite is so that I can say... I actually have an elite license, and of course so that I can push myself harder. But we all know that you dont need an elite license to make yourself a better athlete. I think maybe waiting on the license and focusing on the SMW age group title and Kona makes way more sense for where I am right now.
Who knows... maybe someday I can take my age group at Kona.....
I can only train.. and hope so.

_Jacob_

No comments:

Post a Comment