Sunday, February 12, 2012

No CC100, so PLAIN 100 it is...

I've always liked challenges. I've always been drawn to the unknown... and the fear of failure.

The Plain 100 instills fear in me. So, of course, when I didn't get into the Cascade Crest 100, I immediately registered for Plain.

Back on February 1st, I signed up for the Cascade Crest 100 (CC100) lottery. Yesterday they posted the results of the lottery and I ended up 82nd on the wait list of around 103. That pretty much sealed my fate. Plain it would be.

I'm happy with the result, because I either wanted to get into CC, or be so far down the wait list I would know I had no chance of getting in. I guess I'll have to keep trying at the CC100. Maybe some day.

Earlier in the week, I'd done a lot of research on Plain and while I was scared beyond belief, I was unbelievably intrigued. Plain is just as the name infers. It's plain. There are no course markings, no aid stations, no race t-shirt, no belt buckle, a $95 entry fee, a 36 hour cutoff, ~21,000ft of climbing and decent, and it's more like ~106 miles... but whose counting right? The only thing I'm counting is the fact that it's a HR100 qualifier and it's just plain tough.

Like I said, I like challenges, and the Plain 100 will be just that. Most likely the biggest challenge I've ever faced. My research has already begun and by the time I get to Plain I will know that course forwards and backwards, not to mention every stream where I can find water.

As my training progresses, I'll update with new developments, etc.


I guess it's time to start training with a pack.

_Jacob_

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Right! I guess I can't ever succeed/fail if I don't try! :)

      Delete
  2. Well, at least it gets hot at Plain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may not have course markings, but they'll have heat!!

      Delete
  3. Study maps like mad, get best available. Figure out where the water sources are, it is hot in many open ridges. Majority of those who finish Plain come and train on the course. As well as majority of folks who finish go in pairs or groups. When you meet a ranger or a fire truck, don't bother asking where you are - they are not allowed to tell you. Buddy-up with someone local, at least through the night. Carry a pepper spray and an extra light (or two) - there are bears and cougars, no joke. The most difficult course navigation happens around a couple of campgrounds, at 3 dirt-road crossings, and when you venture some distance away for water source and forget where you came from (happens, trust me). Good luck. Prepare for spectacular insanity, and learn how to say N/S/W/E by sun, stars, trees and ridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olga! I'm already doing research on some good bear spray, and brushing up on my navigation skills!!! I'll probably be picking you and Larrys brains later ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm the "navigator" in the family when we're out in the middle of nowhere high up in the mountains when the snow has erased all signs of the trail. :)

      Delete
    3. And I can still find my way out faster, and with a smile:)

      Delete
    4. Haha! That sounds like a jab at ya'lls R2R2R run ;)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete