Wednesday, June 27, 2012

2012 HARDROCK 100: The Excitement

The excitement.

Man, I can hardly contain myself anymore. I've spent so many hours on google maps and the HR website the past few weeks, that I'm ashamed to even tell anyone.

I mean, I'm not even racing and I'm so excited I can't see straight! I've been attempting to plan out every day. I've made lists of every possible piece of equipment I could even imagine needing.

While I do have experience in the mountains, I don't have a lot of experience with "these" kinds of mountains. I know that weather can and will change in the blink of an eye, and I know that mother nature is not forgiving.

I've been assigned course sweep from Sherman to Silverton. Just around 28 miles of glorious San Juan night running... wait... I mean hiking. Since then I've been diving into different maps and studying my section as much as possible. One: because I've never run any of the HR course before, and Two: because it's going to be almost ALL at night.

The great part about my sweep is that it's possible I'll have to be 100% self reliant for fuel, etc. So this should be some great "fastpacking" practice. Since the final cut-off for Sherman is ~5:00pm and the race doesn't end till 6:00am the next morning I'm planning on at least being out there for 13-15 hours.

As I study the area and plan my first (of hopefully many) adventure to the San Juans I can't help but hope that others in the world are able to find something that they can become this excited about. Spending time in nature and covering large distances on foot brings me such joy and fulfillment.

So, I'll stop being all emotional and share some of my plans for my adventure.

Day 1: Up to Handies from Grouch and back (~10 miles)
Day 2: Grouse to Ouray (~15 miles / Mexican Food and hot springs in Ouray) Of course after watching the race start that morning.
Day 3: Island Lake/Grant Swamp (~5-8 miles) -> Sleep -> Start sweeping from Sherman around 5PM.
Day 4: Finish sweeping in Silverton around 6-8AM. (~28 miles)
Day 5: Up in the air. Either Kendall Mtn or Ouray to Krogers/Virginous and back... or nothing depending on how I feel! ;)
Day 6: Hamitite Lake Hike (~5-10 miles)

Totals: ~60-80 Miles and who knows how many thousands of feet of climbing.

Now I know that this is insanely ambitious for my first trip to the San Juans, and I'm 100% ready to alter this plan depending on how I feel and how well I acclimate. Also, keep in mind I'm probably going to be doing more hiking than running, so I'm hoping that my legs hold up pretty well. I don't want to do anything too stupid before my sweep duties.

I'm camping just outside Silverton at Molas Campground which is just around 10,500ft. I cannot wait to poke my head out of my tent every morning to see the San Juans at my disposal.

If anyone has and more recommendations on some good hikes or places to see while I'm up there let me know! My current plans definitely aren't set in stone and will probably change daily.

_Jacob_

Please enjoy the beauty I'm posting below.

(None of these photos are mine, If there's no credit, I don't know the source)

Silverton, Colorado

Ouray, Colorado

Somewhere in the San Juans

San Juans

Hematite Lake (Just outside Silverton) Photo Credit: Olga King

2 comments:

  1. Pic before the pic of Hematite Lake is looking towards Kamm's Traverse (KT). The course crosses that far road (Mineral Creek Road) in the upper center left and then traverses across those rock bands and into those trees (center right). The road close in the foreground goes up to Clear Lake (haven't been there). If you look real close at the far right center in the trees, you'll see a little sliver of white. That is the creek coming down from Ice Lake. You cross that creek, too, after doing Kamm's Traverse coming out of the KT aid station!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend just got back from Silverton and said it is gorgeous with good air quality! I'd love to go up there. Hardrock trail in any form is stuff but as I say go big or go home ;) Enjoy your time soaking up trail running mecca! Great training and inspiring too!

    ReplyDelete