Friday, June 15, 2012

Fastpacking thoughts...

I love challenges. I love the idea that something may seem impossible at one point in your life, but years later it may be the norm.

My evolution through endurance sports has gone through many different phases, but one thing is for certain. Endurance sports are where I excel.

Ultra running is for me probably my favorite out of every sport I've tried. It combines everything that I'm passionate about. Trail running. Big mountains. Endurance. The concept of traveling large distances on foot, on terrain that's not paved pulls me in and intrigues me constantly.

It seems that my ultra running endeavors have naturally progressed into something called "fastpacking".

A quote I found online says, "Fastpacking takes the idea of ultralight one step further. Essentially, speed hikers seek to cover as much distance in as little time as possible, with one key factor making this possible. These hardy souls carry the bare essentials, limiting gear to sleeping bag, tarp, food, and water. Though definitions vary, most backpackers agree that fastpacking involves running rather than hiking. Most hikers using this technique wear running shoes."

I've already been experimenting with this when I go up to Arkansas and run there some weekends. When I run there a lot of the times I am forced to refill my water supply in creeks and rivers. I have to carry enough food to last me for up to 32 miles and don't have any stash points. So everything I may need for the run I have to carry with me.

I've been doing a lot of research on this subject and it seems that there is little to find in terms of unsupported fastpacking. It seems that most people agree that carrying around 10lbs and under would be considered true fastpacking. Obviously the most heavy items would be your food and water.

For me, this idea of "fastpacking" takes my desire for adventure and endurance to the next level. It asks the question of how far can you go with how little? Do you really need a hot meal? Do you really need that sleeping pad? When it comes down to it, ultra runners are great at suffering and making pretty rough situations in "ok" situations.

I plan to do a lot more research, but have had a few different ideas run through my head for awhile now.

A trail that's intrigued me for a few years is the 225 mile Ouachita Trail in Arkansas. As of right now that FKT (Fastest Known Time) is 3 days 4 hours and 34 minutes. That was fully supported. I'd really like to give this a try unsupported. I'd say that 4 full days would be a stretch at around 56 miles a day. 5 full days would be around 45 miles a day. I don't have any kind of time frame right now, but would like to give this a shot at some point.

I don't plan on cutting back on my racing by any means, but would love to be able to throw in some fastpacking when the chance comes up. Since I have some great trails within a few hours there's not much of a reason not to try this at some point.

While some people may say why in the world would you try something like that, it all comes down to why not? It's most definitely to each his own. For some people a 5K or 10K is enough. For others it's a 50K. For some it's 100.. and for others it's just challenging yourself daily.

In a way, a lot of us ultra runners are already fastpackers. Those of you that have been lucky enough to do the Grand Canyon R2R2R are in a way fastpackers. If what you're doing blows the mind of the average backpacker and ultra runner at the same time, it's probably fastpacking.

I'm really looking forward to trying some fastpacking and spending even more time discovering beautiful trails.

I'd post a few links to some fastpacking info sites, but I really couldn't find too many, so I'll leave you with this ONE if you're interested in doing some more research.

_Jacob_


2 comments:

  1. Where is the Like button? Larry and I say that's why we're still training for ultras...so when the kids are out, we can be in shape for fastpacking:)

    ReplyDelete