Monday, October 3, 2011

First 100: Complete!

Well, I haven't started the race report yet, but I wanted to share a quick update so everyone knows how the race went this weekend!

I finished in 21:26:03, 7th overall, and 1st Texan.

I still don't think I've wrapped my head around the fact that I finished, much less as fast as I did. My totally happy goal was sub 24, and my perfect race goal was sub 22. Once I realized that sub 21:30 was possible that became my new goal around mile 85-90.

The biggest boost was when I realized that the pace chart I was following was taking into account slowing down the second half of the race. When I got to the 50 mile mark I was 10:10 into the race. If I maintained pace I'd finish in 20:20. Well, I looked at my pace chart and I was exactly on pace for  22 hours according to my pace chart.

This is when I realized that it was accounting for slowing down. This was a HUGE boost! I had just run a 10:10 50 miler and felt great! I started to think sub 22 was actually possible. My mind set changed a bit here and I really started to focus a bit more.

I picked up my pacer Brian at mile 67, with the original plan to drop him at mile 83, but that changed somewhere between 67 and 83. When we reached 83 he didn't even mention stopping.

When we reached the top of the climb out of Lake Winona to Electric Tower aid it was pretty much all downhill from there. When we reached the last aid station and I saw we didn't gain any time from our last aid station I realized that the pace chart was also taking into account the terrain.

Sure enough when we reached mile 95 we did some math and realized that sub 21:30 was still possible.

We finally reached the paved road and ran the last half mile in, uphill, to finish in 21:26:03.

I cannot thank my crew enough for what they did this weekend. Brian and Lynn literally devoted their weekend to me finishing this race. I'm happy I was able to back up all that support with a great time.

To my friend Brian, my pacer, thanks for hanging tough and finishing your longest run ever. You absolutely showed the heart of an ultra runner.

Starting the race report tonight. Hopefully I'll have it done sometime this week.

Including some photos for your viewing pleasure! Should have actual race photos from the crew later :)




-Jacob

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the report! Congrats on an outstanding finish... 7th overall!!! You ran a smart race and I just was glad to be there to witness it first hand!

    Rest well and God bless,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots to be proud of man! It was fun to be a part of this exciting "first" for you and also to join in on some of your training leading up to it. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to run with you and spend a weekend in such a beautiful part of the country.

    I don't think I'll forget when you came into Copperhead aid station at 50+ miles and before we could say anything you started with, "So, I've been doing some math..." Good times man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the results. Thrilled for you. Seems like a perfect first 100. We had those:) Enjoy!!! You earned it.

    ReplyDelete