Friday, October 21, 2011

AT100 splits, full video, & recovery....

Last AT100 post... I promise.

They posted the splits last week and I did some "math" to calculate my position changes throughout the race. I am unbelievably excited and happy with the results. I did all the passing. See below:

Mile 8.6 -> 30th
Mile 21.9 -> 28th
Mile 39.4 -> 19th
Mile 52.1 -> 17th
Mile 67.7 -> 12th
Mile 83.9 -> 9th
Mile 100 -> 7th

CLICK HERE to check out the excel sheet for yourself. 

I think this is a great reflection of my ability to start easy and maintain as well as possible throughout the race. I know that not all my 100s will go this well, but I can only hope they'll be as good as this one.

In other news my "recovery" is coming along well. I took the first week after the 100 completely off except for one easy 3 mile jog. The next week I logged an easy 40 miles, and this week I'm looking at logging another easy 50. I'll do another 50 next week, then do an easy 1 week taper to the NYC marathon which I'll be running for training. For now I'll post an easy goal of sub 3:30.

Tonight I registered for my next ultra which is the Wild Hare 50K in Warda, Texas. I did this 50 miler last year with my friend Ben, and this year we're going back for the 50K. Ben is taking the van down this year, so I'll be joining them and crashing in my tent. I LOVE camping at races, especially the super low key ones like this. I have to be honest, I'm even more excited about the beer, burgers, and friends post race than I am the run.

In regards the run, I'd love to finish this fantastic running year with another PR, if not an overall win. Earlier this year I set a new 50K PR on very little training up in Philly (4:35). I think that a sub 4:30 is MORE than attainable, and I'd love something closer to 4:15. Last year it looks like the top three went 3:56, 4:07, and 4:21, so I'll have to be on my "A" game to get the win for sure.

Other than that, I'm seriously eyeing the Rocky Raccoon 100 for early February of next year. I'm planning on the Cascade Crest 100 as my "A" race next year and I'd LOVE to get another, easier effort 100 under my belt before CC100 in August. If I do the RR100, it would just be to go sub 24 and finish without being completely trashed.

I'm doing a double marathon weekend on new years. (26.2 on New Years Eve, then 26.2 on New Years Day) I'm thinking this will be a great training weekend in building for the RR100. It will definitely come down to how I feel after the 50K in a few weeks, plus I'll evaluate how I've recovered and if I'll be ready for another 100 that soon after my first. I've known quite a few people that have done the AT100, then the RR100 in February, so I know it's possible. I'm just not sure how much I'll enjoy an 80-90 mile training week in the February/January cold.

In two weeks we'll be in NYC getting ready for the marathon there. I'm unbelievably excited to introduce Courtney to the "big" city. While I'm most definitely not a fan of NYC, I hope her experience is much better than mine have been. Plus, we're going to see some great friends, and that always makes it better :)

Lastly, I finished up my Arkansas Traveller 100 video montage which I uploaded to YouTube last week. I wanted to share this with everyone, and give those that haven't run a 100 yet, an inside peek to a 100. Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions!!


-Jacob

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great finish at AT100! Sounds like you have a full but fun racing schedule ahead.

    ReplyDelete