Saturday, October 1, 2011

Firsts....

My great friend, Diane Proud, who recently lost her battle with ALS once told me when I was probably 19 years old, that you only get a few firsts. She told me to enjoy everyone, cause sooner or later you'll run out of firsts.

Odds are, she probably thought I'd run out of firsts long before now, but I've somehow found more firsts.

Today, (or tomorrow morning to be exact) I'll finish (God willing) another first.

I have set this blog post to publish itself at 0600 on Saturday morning. The exact time that I'll start running 100 miles through the Arkansas forests.

Regardless of the outcome of today I'm unbelievably greatful to our loving God who has given me the ability to do what I do. If I finish today, it will be not because of me, but the God who gave me what I have.

I'm thankful to many people. My beautiful wife for putting up with the hours I spent running. My incredible friend Scott King for just being a great friend all the time. To Brian and Lynn Ballard for spending this crazy weekend with me in Arkansas. To Brian specifically for volunteering to pace me. I still don't think he knows what he's getting himself into. To all my ultra friends who have given me advice along the way. I appreciate all of you and hope I don't disappoint today.

I'd tell you all my goals, but you probably already know them.

I'll see you on the flip side.

-Jacob


No comments:

Post a Comment