Saturday, October 29, 2011

The New York City Marathon...

Earlier this year when my good friend that lives on Long Island (poor guy) mentioned entering into the NYC Marathon lottery I kinda thought it was a joke, but I was all for it.

Why not I thought. I'll never get in.

Well sure enough I did, and next week the wife and I are flying up to NYC so I can run the marathon. If I don't sound all that excited, it's A) because I'm typing on a computer and it's difficult to convey emotion via the internet or B) because it's just a regular old road marathon that cost more per mile than I really want to mention.

Ok, ok, I kid. I really am actually pretty excited. Not only will I get to run one of the biggest marathons in the world but we're going to get to spend time with friends and hopefully have a pretty nice, "relaxing" vacation.

Courtney has never been to NYC, so we'll be going into the city at least one day to do they norm. We'll stand outside GMA (so look for us!) and hope to get on TV, then hopefully swing down to Ground Zero, Ice Skate in Central Park, take Courtney to the original Sacs Fifth Ave, stop by Serendipity (whatever that is), take a picture by the LOVE statue, and whatever else we can think up.

I've been to NYC a number of times, and as a native Texan, that loves my wide open spaces, the BIG city tends to get a bit claustrophobic for me. Maybe since I'm gonna be doing so much "touristy" type stuff this time, I'll have a better time. Here's to a good attitude!

In regards to the "race" I'm obviously not going for any PRs or anything. I'm just gonna go up there and have a good time, run a fun marathon, and enjoy myself. Preliminary goals are most definitely at least sub 3:30 and hopefully closer to 3:15. I won't be over exerting myself, so It'll be interesting to see how fast I can run a "comfortable" marathon. My "A" race is the WH50K two weeks after that, so I don't wanna blow up too soon ;)

The Cactus Rose 50/100 is starting in a few hours, so I want to wish all of those competing this weekend the best, and a safe 50/100 miles!

I leave you with a new song by M83 entitled "Wait".


-Jacob 

1 comment:

  1. Serendipity is awesome! A cute, quaint, claustrophobic place :) The frozen hot chocolate is great (and more than enough to share with 4 people!) but you're going in Nov. so it might not be the time for that.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete