Monday, November 21, 2011

2011 Wild Hare 50K Race Report

Oh Wild Hare how I love you.

This race didn't really get put on the schedule till pretty late in the year, and I was originally planning on the 50M, but the guy I was riding down with decided he was going to do the 50K, so in for the 50K I was as well.

Earlier this year I set a new 50K PR of around 4:35 with very little specific training and not really meaning to set a new PR.

For the Wild Hare the goal was at least a new PR, a sub 4:20 race or a top three finish. If you're interested in reading specifically about my goals you can read my post last week HERE.

In short, I got all my goals on Saturday, something I honestly didn't expect would happen. I thought that a sub 4:20 50K was a bit ambitious for me especially on trails, but alas, I surprised myself.

I finished in 4:14:21, 3rd Overall.

If you're interested in reading the specifics read on.

If you're reading this in hopes of getting a details course description, etc. this is gonna be the wrong report. CLICK HERE to read my 50M race report from last year which has A LOT more detail.

I'm gonna try to keep this short, but we all know that's unlikely.

The Wild Hare 50K

This years pre race went almost exactly like last years. My friend Ben (who ended up running the 25K) picked me up in Plano and we headed straight down 35, off to 77, down to Warda. 

We arrived in just enough time that I could set my tent up in the little bit of daylight that was left. We grabbed our packets from Joe, then headed back to Giddings to have our Subway sandwhiches. 

Once back to the camp site I couldn't help but head back up to the house to chat ultra stories with Joe and the others. Joe's the only person I've ever met face to face that's done Barkley, so I finally got the nerve to ask him about it :)

Headed back to the tent and slept great. Had a lot of weird dreams about not waking up in time for the race but that was it. 

Race Morning

The alarm went off just before 6AM. I then heard the 50M start at 6. I stuck my head outside the tent and realized it was quite a bit warmer than I expected, so I opted to wear just my singlet and shorts. No gloves, arm warmers, or beanie. 

Gotta love Texas weather!

I headed up to the race start in plenty of time to take my ritual duece and proceeded to the start line which had been moved down to the entrance to the barn. 

Lap 1

Joe shouted go and we were quickly off. The course this year for the 50K was a 1 mile warm up loop followed by 4 7.5 mile loops, only slightly different than previous years. 

My goal was to jump near the front by someone went off a bit harder than I was comfortable with. Looked like the others were ok with him running off too. We finished the warm mile and of course I forgot to hit my split on the watch. 

The first few people were running a bit faster than I was comfortable for 50K so I dropped back into 5th place. I looked behind me and there wasn't anyone for quite a ways. Looked like my competition was right here with me. 

I don't use a GPS or anything fancy like... just my perceived exertion level. I felt like I was running somewhere around an 8/min mile and sure enough I finished the first loop pretty comfortably in 1:08:17 which was an 8:02 avg. 

I tried something slightly different for nutrition because I didn't want anything solid for such a short race, just gels. I decided to take one gel every 25 minutes and 1 S-Cap every 30 minutes. This ended up working well and I was never short on energy. 


Lap 2

After crossing the timing mat, I refilled my water bottle and immediately headed back out wasting NO time! 

I passed someone while they were re-fueling and I took advantage of this to open up some space. Here, someone caught up with me when we entered the wooded twisty single track section and he ran right behind me. 

The 25K had started just minutes before we started out second loop, so we spent the first 3 miles of this loop flying through 25Kers. It was a bit annoying, but also kept us moving fast and not slowing. 

I let the guy pass me towards the end of this section and caught up with him at the ~3.5 mile aid station.  We ran it out together and maintained a steady pace. It felt very similar to lap 1s perceived level. Towards the back side of this lap he started to fade and told me to go on. (I later found out that this was his first 50K! Congrats to him on finishing)

When I left him behind I tried to maintain the quick pace we were running. I still couldn't see anyone in the 50K in front of me, but was hoping I'd catch someone. I finished this lap in 4th place and in a time of 1:00:31 for that lap which ended up being an 8:04 pace. 

Lap 3

I again refilled my one water bottle and headed out as quick as possible. Spending no more than 5-10 seconds refilling. 

As soon as I pulled out of the aid station I could see 3rd place just running ahead! Awesome. I quickly caught him and when I did I picked up the pace just a bit to make sure I left him behind. 

Once I made it back to the wooded single track section I looked back and he was gone. 

On this third lap I started to feel the pace in my legs and knew this was gonna hurt pretty good by the end. I saw sweating like a mad man since it had warmed up pretty good. (By no means was it hot, but reasonably warmer than it has been the past few weeks)

During this section I started thinking I should try to run this lap as close as I can to the last two laps so I'd have plenty in the bank by the fourth and final lap. 

There were plenty of times during this lap that I wanted to walk, and most definitely would have in the past, but recently I have really gained confidence and mental toughness in my ability to keep running when I don't want to. 

I kept thinking about the NYC Marathon two weeks ago, and my first 100 miler back in October, and how the 100 miler hurt so much more. How if I could run a 100 in 21:26, I can deal with this pain for another 2 hours or so. 

I finished my 3rd lap in 1:01:53 (only 1:22 slower than my previous lap) and at an average pace of 8:15/mile. 

Lap 4

Lap 4 started just like the others. I refilled my water and headed out. At this point I started doing some math and realized I could run around a 1:10 lap and still break my goal of a sub 4:20 race. I knew the odds were good, but was still a bit nervous that the wheels could come off at any minute. 

I got a bit of a second wind after leaving the start area, but that quickly faded when I got to the twisty wooded section which I just despise. 

I knew that if I could just finish this section I'd be able to hopefully push the pace into the last 3 or 4 miles. The motivation I was getting from the BOP 25Kers/50Kers was really nice, and much appreciated. 

I knew I was still running a fine line between going too hard, but I was ready to risk it. I was well on my way to a 20 minute PR. 

When I got close to the ~3.5 mile aid station I could see the 2nd place girl running out. She still looked like she was running a 5K, and I knew it would be a test to catch her. I mentally decided to keep running my race and not actively try to catch her. I just didn't have it in me at that moment...

Once through the aid station I knew a sub 4:20 was pretty much in the bank and I was now running for a new PR, and possibly 2nd place. 


I kept getting glances of the girl in front of me, but it didn't look like I was gaining all that much. Finally I came to the end of the big field section on the back side and was almost to the suspension bridge. I looked to my left and I could see the girl hiking up the climb. 

I don't know why, but I didn't want to sneak up on her, so I let her know I was coming. I think I said something along the lines of, "Go Girl!"

At this point she sees me and gets it.

I knew it was on. 

I ran up the bridge and power hiked the climb. Once to the top I started pushing deep for my final chance to catch her. I kept looking ahead but didn't see her. With probably 3/4 mile to go, I pass a guy and he says, "She's just ahead! You got her!"

This gave me a bit of motivation so I dug even deeper. If I didn't catch her at this pace, more power to her!!

I was running about as quick as I could go, then out of nowhere I was face down in the dirt.

Ugh. My foot caught a root and my calf had totally seized up. I quickly un-seized it, and got back to running, but that was it. 

I'd just run 30.5 miles without falling once and of course it would happen with less than a quarter mile to go. 

When I made the final turn I could see the finish line and she was already through it. I crossed the line in 4:14:21, in 3rd place, and set a new PR by 21 minutes. 

She had beaten me by 31 seconds. Mass kudos to her for running a heck of a race. My last lap was in 1:03:37 at an average pace of 8:28/mile. My slowest lap by about 1:40, but I couldn't be much happier. I pushed the pace early and pushed the pace late. I did what I could and ran the best race I could that day. 

I congratulated her on the win and found out from Joe that he was going three deep for overall! Of course he has the best hardware ever. I ended up with some yard art! A handmade armadillo on a stick!




Thanks to Joe, his wife Joyce, and Tejas Trails for another fantastic race. Somehow, they know how to keep that low key feel even when their races grow. This race will stay on my list for some time to come. 

Over the year I have started to learn something about myself and ultra running. When I first started ultra running I wasn't very good at dealing with the pain that running such long distance will bring. 

I have recently started to become much better at dealing with the pain. At the 50K, there were plenty of times I wanted to walk, and could have walked, but I didn't. I knew what it would take to get that new PR and maintain my 3rd place OA. 

This was a great way for me to "finish" my running season and start the thanksgiving holiday. 

This week, I am thankful for my ability to run. I am thankful for my wife, family, and friends. But above all, I'm thankful for the God that has given it all to me. Because lord knows... I'm not worthy. 

-Jacob

14 comments:

  1. haha.. that makes it easier to carry your armadillo! Great job on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so much fun reading this! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob--

    Wild Hare was my second 50K and I loved reading your race report. Congratulations on running a great race and BIG props to you for completing your first 100 miler last month!

    Brian Cravens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followed this from BT - great job! would have been interesting if you didn't trip but nothing wrong with 3rd with the fall race season you just completed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the push to the finish! I actually tripped going down a little hill about 600m from the finish- my only fall of the day as well. Great run!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, Thanks for giving me someone to chase!! You looked effortless the whole time.

    Brian, Thanks! Congrats on your second 50K! Any plans for anything longer?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to PR, Jacob! Now you can go chase down Mel's 50m PR! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Jacob. You are a nice addition to the ultrarunning community!

    Lynn B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larry, Thanks! Oh geezz... I don't even want to know what Mel can run a 50M in. That girl can haul.

    Thanks Lynn! Hopefully I have plenty of ultra running years in me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at the crazy camp about .5 mi from the barn! Was great cheering for all the runners! Congrats! Love the yard art awards - super cool! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Ritual Deuce" is the name of my Creed cover band.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing race Jacob. Enjoy the yard art!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! Congrats on the 3rd place and the PR. Also, huge congrats for the shout to 2nd place as she was walking the hill! That was probably the best part about reading this. Awesome sportsmanship!

    ReplyDelete