Thursday, November 17, 2011

A serious race this weekend....

I don't race "seriously" all that often anymore, but this weekend I'm heading down to the teeny tiny town of Warda, Texas. 

I'm fairly certain this place doesn't have a stoplight. 

Regardless, my friend Ben opted for the 50K instead of 50M so I'm down for the 50K with him. This will be my last ultra of the year so I've decided to go for it. 

It may not be the smartest thing just 13 days after a 3:15 effort at the NYC marathon, but I've never been known for my brains. (My wife is the brains!)

My original goal was to go for the win, but looking at past results I'm gonna be happy with a top 3 overall, or sub 4:20. I set a new 50K PR this year of 4:35 while still building for my summer running, so I'm hoping a 4:20 isn't completely unrealistic. I guess I'll find out Saturday. 

My good friend Scott is coming down from "up north" for the UT game, so he's gonna pick me up at the 50K, and then we're driving into Austin for my first UT football game! 

I have also talked him into skydiving, so on Sunday morning before our drive back to Dallas/Fort Worth we're going to jump out of an airplane! When I did my first jump in September they offered me a 50% off coupon for my next jump. 

I'm keeping this post short, but I've been contemplating a few posts for the next few weeks...

1) My 2nd hot yoga experience.... (please don't ask)

2) My thoughts on the "Tough Mudder" events....

I don't want to give anything away, so I'll leave it at that! 

I want to congratulate all the first time ultra runners at the Rockledge Rumble this weekend as well as all the first time trail runners/racers! Welcome to trail running! 

I leave you with Dayvan Cowboy.... this is more for Scott than anyone else ;)


-Jacob

2 comments:

  1. Run for the win! You need the speed work for The Trot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing about hot yoga and tough mudder...

    ReplyDelete