Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Thru Hiking Pack List (LSHT)

I recently completed a solo thru hike of the Lone Star Hiking Trail. After completing it I decided to complete a pack list for folks interested in lighter thru hiking/fast packing. If you're interested in checking out my thru hike report from the LSHT CLICK HERE.


When I was new to "Fastpacking" and thru hiking I was always a bit curious as to what folks packed. Well now that I've finished my thru hike of the 96 mile Lone Star Hiking Trail I'm doing a post of my pack list for the hike with links and photos included. My beginnings in hiking of course started with heavy cheaper gear which overtime evolved into me buying more efficient (and of course more expensive) gear. Ultimately this was worth it and the quality gear I have now seems to be ready to stand the test of time.

My pack weight now (minus food and water) is normally around 15 lbs. For my thru hike of the Lone Star Hiking Trail (LSHT) my weight was an even 15 lbs. For my break down of what I carry I'll include links (if available) and any important details. Of course if you have any questions about any of it feel free to email me at eljacobevans@gmail.com.

Pack





Pack Cover: REI Duck's Back 60


We'll start with my pack. For the past few years I've been carrying the "Osprey Exos 38". This bag was target for folks that were ready for a lighter bag and this thing delivers. I've had zero complaints with this bag so far. As for the cover I've never actually used it, but carry it for emergencies just cause you don't want your bag soaked.

Eating/Cooking Gear

Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket (I used the first edition, the link is for the second)





This stove is incredible. It packs down to almost nothing and I can fit my ignition device inside! I've had zero complaints about this stove and it does exactly what I need. I've never run out of fuel on the trail and had cooked 6 meals plus made coffee on multiple hikes. As for the igniter it's never failed me and I hate to admit this but I don't even take a backup. Something I'll probably change soon.



Man, this kettle is by far one of my best purchases so far. It packs down to almost nothing and I can put my cup and coffee pourover inside. It takes up almost no space at all yet is such a valuable piece of equipment.


No complaints about this cup. It collapses down and is stored inside the kettle.

Coffee Pour Over: Collapsable Coffee Pour Over

This pour over is awesome. I can't do without some good coffee each morning. When I bought this exact model it was the only one available. Since they Sea to Summit has come out with their own version which I plan on upgrading to ASAP. HERE's a link to the Sea to Summit version. For my coffee I pre grind my beans and then store them in seperate small baggies with filters. The new Sea to Summit one includes a metal mesh filter which is very appealing.

Footwear

Water shoes: Vibram Five Fingers


The shoes I wore appear to no longer be available, so I just linked to the classic 5 finger shoe. These shoes are great because they're super light and dry very quickly.



Man, what a controversial subject!! I won't go into this too much, but with my background in running and even more so long distance trail running there was no other option for me for long distance hiking other than a trail runner. These held up pretty well specifically to this trail. They're light weight and going with anything heavier just won't happen for me.

Safety Gear




Reflective Vest: Amphipod Reflective Vest


Specifically for this hike I'd recommend a decent amount of reflective gear. In total there's probably 10-15 miles of road hiking and it's possible some of it may be done in the dark. I was very happy I brought mine cause I did more than a few miles in the dark.

Knife: CRKT M16 Knife and a random multi-tool with phillips head


I don't necessarily recommend a knife this large, but I carry this at work and figured it would work well for this trip which it indeed did. As for the small multi-tool I bring that just in case I need to adjust my poles. I'd probably recommend a slightly more diverse mutli-tool for longer hikes.

Water Filtration/Bladders



Well as I stated in my previous trip report I didn't even use this, regardless I think this is one of the best filtration devices currently available since it's so diverse and light.

Bladders: Platypus 3L Bladder and a smaller Platypus Soft Bottle


Man, another controversial subject! I've been using this Platypus 3L bladder for awhile and it's held up awesome. No leaks and it holds over 100oz. I like the fact that I can fill it up with just one liter or three depending on the distance. The only downside to this thing is that it's difficult to clean. I picked up the smaller 24oz platypus bottle just for the extra water which really paid off on this trip. It fit perfectly under my "brain" between the pack and top with some compression.

Sleeping Gear/Sacks/Tent



I've had this bag for awhile and I finally put it to use! Switching to a quilt was a big decision but this thing is so light and so soft. It was a bit pricey but I wanted a down cold weather bag and this thing does not dissapoint. While it was probably a bit much for this hike, seeing as it didn't drop below 40 degrees it allowed me to sleep in minimal clothing. I could stick a foot or arm out if I got warm. I really enjoyed this bag and can tell it will work great for colder weather. I also picked up their down booties and down hood for colder weather. I also have a 40 degree marmot which I left at home.



Another wonderful purchase. While this thing is a bit pricey it is so light and packs so small I can't complain. It is a bit loud, but that's it. It does exactly what I want it to do.


For years I tried going sans pillow but once I found this it didn't really make sense anymore to not get one. I love it and won't camp anywhere without it now.


So I've also had this tent for awhile and I love it. It sets up in seconds and goes down in seconds. I can pack this thing up in less than 60 seconds without rushing. The link here is for the Pro Trail which is just an updated version of the Contrail. The only downside is that the stakes they included are light, but one of my snapped off in the ground. I didn't even know that was possible.



Compression Sacks: Sea to Summit E-Vent Dry Compression Sacks

I can't recommend any of my gear more than these. I have two of them. One small and one X-small. They will compress anything down to nothing. My small bag had my quilt, my booties, my hood, and my pillow. The X-small bag had my rain gear and sleeping clothes along with some cold weather stuff (Gloves, arm warmers)

Misc Gear



These are fairly basic but do the job I need them to do.  They also double as poles for my tarptent contrail.

Lights/Headlamps: Energizer Basic Headlamp(s)


For some reason I just refuse to go buy some overpriced big name brand headlamp from REI when I get these for $14 at Walmart or Lowes. These work awesome and have never failed me. I always carry two because you never want to be left in the dark.

Alright folks, that's all I can think of for now. If you want to know any other specifics feel free to email at eljacobevans@gmail.com. Also, remember if you want to check out my report from my solo thru hike of the Lone Star Hiking Trail CLICK HERE. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment