Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Trail Running 101: An Intro

I know it's not original, but I'm starting an "advice" column for beginner runners. I'm calling it "Trail Running 101", but it's going to cover a WIDE array of different topics.

I'm going to cover everything from selecting running shoes, what clothes to wear (and avoid!), should you wear socks?, what are gaiters?, should I carry water?, how much water?, and all the trail and running advice in between.

Over the years, as I've become a more experienced runner, and now a slightly more experienced ultra runner (only 20 ultras), I've started getting a lot of random e-mails and messages from different people asking for all sorts of advice. I can't even count the number of messages I've gotten about training plans. Well, this is now going to be my "go-to" answer when I get these messages.

Each time I get a new message I'm going to post an answer here on jacobevans.net for the whole wide world to see, because odds are if one person needs to know, there are others that are curious about the same thing!

So, is what you read here going to be the "end-all-be-all" last answer you'll ever need? Absolutely not. Odds are, you may completely disagree with my advice. If so I encourage you to leave me a comment on the blog or just don't read my posts anymore. This is going to be beginner friendly and a welcoming place for all those new to road and trail running. I may often refer to those with more experience myself, and even post links to others blogs so that you can discover the different trains of thought in regards to different issues.

My experiences in running started in 2005. I did my first half marathon in 2005, my first marathon in 2006, my first Ironman triathlon in 2007, my second Ironman triathlon in April 2008, my third Ironman triathlon in October 2008, my second free standing marathon in 2008, then I did my first ultra marathon in April 2009. That was the Hog's Hunt 50K. From there I did my fourth Ironman triathlon in 2009, my first 100K trail run in August 2009, my first 50 mile trail run in February 2010. I did my first double Ironman triathlon in March 2011, then my first 100 mile run in October 2011. My progression is obviously not "norm", but was a steady progression regardless. My friend Olga just posted a great article over on Endurance Buzz which discusses the reasons behind a safe progression in ultra running and how we should all have a healthy respect for the distances and terrain we cover.

I enjoyed triathlon while I was in it, but it didn't satisfy my need for something more. Something outside my comfort box, something a little bit more "dangerous". That need is satisfied with ultra running on trails. The lack of support during ultras, as well as the sometimes dangerous terrain we cover, helps keep me outside my comfort zone, and always has me wondering, "can I do this?"

If the last time you ran a mile was in middle school, but you're now looking to start running again, you've come to the right place. If you've run a 5K but are looking for something a bit more challenging, you've come to the right place. If you've run a marathon or qualified for the Boston Marathon and are looking for something a bit different? You've come to the right place.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at eljacobevans@gmail.com or just post comments below. I'll get a response written up as soon as possible.

If you'd like more information on me, check out the other sections of my blog. HERE's a link to "my story", HERE's a link to my race reports and all the races I've ever completed, HERE's a link to my race results, HERE's a link to my gear reviews, and HERE's a link to my training log where I log all my training on a daily basis.

Hope to have my second post up in just a few days!

_Jacob_

PS- here's a fantastic video by Salomon and Killian Jornet about how he mentally and physically prepares for racing.


2 comments:

  1. He should have watched his own video before he ran WS the first time. :) He didn't carry bottles between aid stations in the canyons. After he crossed the finish line, he went straight to the med tent where they were going to give him an IV, but Olga wouldn't let them. When he finally did pee, it was dark brown. 2010 was not a hot year. Regardless, he learned and came back the next year and won.

    Check out his "Summits of My Life" project--epic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a pretty solid and nice progression. The idea is to not do wild distances off the couch. It allows you not only learn lessons, and be safe, but also enjoy each step of the ride. Too many Trail 101 out there lately tell you to go after big goal, missing out on everything in-between. It's generational thing, you know, technology, no time to waste or to wait, I want it all, and I want it now, granite countertops and updated bathroom and $100k job straight out of college with sociology degree...

    ReplyDelete