Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pre-Race Chat! Summer Solstice 6HR

There have been very few races in my life that have stuck with me. I can count the number of races I've done more than once on one hand. I like variety and I like trying out different courses.

A few years ago I went down and did a VERY small intimate first time race called the Summer Solstice 6HR Endurance Run. It started (back then) around 8PM and ended at 2AM. The course is a 1 mile paved loop in a nice park in southern Abilene, TX. Yes. Abilene, Texas. 

It's hot and it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. (No offense Abilenians!) Having grown up in the DFW metroplex, Abilene feels awfully small town. It's a fairly boring 3-4 hour drive from the Dallas area. 

The first time I went out in 2010 I had a pretty rough race (to say the least) and completed 36 laps. HERE's the race report from that race. I finished in 2nd place.

I came back again in 2011 for my revenge and had planned 40 miles! I again made it only 36 miles, and it was ugly. Granted at the start it was still 102-103 degrees, but I train in that and love it! HERE's the race report from 2011. I barely squeezed out 1st place, but didn't deserve it. 

Originally I didn't think I'd be able to make it back out there year, but alas, I can and am! The race is this Friday night. I cannot wait to get back out to this fun little race and give that 40 mile goal another go around. The past two years my nutrition was a complete joke, and has been totally altered and modified (for the better) since then! 

This year I shall control myself, don't use the stupid idea of miles in the bank, and stick to my nutrition plan. 

This race has a special place on my list of races. Not because of the course beauty, or the wonderful 100 degree temps, or the fun drive out to Abilene... but because it's what I think running is all about. A small, intimate group of runners doing what they love, and making the best of a rough situation. (1 mile loops on a paved loop in Abilene, TX) It really is a beautiful thing running around this little park on a 1 mile loop in the middle of the night when it's still 90 degrees and everyone else in the city is asleep. 

Even though the price has gone up from it's original fee in 2010 of only $25! I plan on sticking around as long as I can for the fun fest. 

Here's to hoping I get to write a report with 40 miles in it upon my return. 

_Jacob_

Here's a video by City and Colour titled "Comin' Home". Takes back to Ironman Arizona in April 2008. 


1 comment:

  1. 40 or bust! Good luck and look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete