Thursday, June 21, 2012

New Balance MT110 Review

I'd like to review a great product from New Balance. It's the MT110, the successor of the MT100, and MT101 line. I was and still am, madly in trail running love with the MT101.

This shoe has been out for quite a while and I know testers that were already wearing this shoe almost a year ago, but I just want to put my spin on it and speak of how it's held up after some pretty rugged runs and a nice 50 miler.


Used Product for: 4 Months and 418 miles.

Weight: 7.7oz

Drop: 4mm (18mm/14mm)

Quality of Construction: 4/5
I've put this shoe through the ringer a few times and it's held up very well. I've experienced very minimal tearing or ripping in the material used for the upper unlike the MT100 and MT101s where I had pretty significant tearing. I used to have holes start to develop on the inside ball of my foot with the MT101s, but not with these. (So far) The material is much different than the MT100s or MT101s. It appears to almost be a synthetic material, not woven like older models. I think this new material is much stronger and holds up to the abuse of trail running much better.


After 420 miles

Fit: 4/5
The fit seems great. I ordered the same size I wore in the MT100 and 101, and it worked great, all except with my Injini socks. I think they're a bit thicker and require about a half size up. I kept getting black nails with the Injini socks and 110s together on long runs over 25 miles. Keep this in mind when you try these on/order them. I love the big toe box and the tongue is nice and thing which helps with the snug feel I like. I give it 4/5, due to the issue with the Injini socks.

Comfort: 4/5
In regards to comfort I had to give it a 4 outta 5. I didn't have any issues at all till I ran the Leona Divide 50M. All the sudden it started rubbing the outside of my right foot just below that bone that pokes. By the end of the race it had rubbed it raw and I couldn't wear the shoes for about 3 weeks till it finally healed up. Other than that, these shoes are totally comfortable. They have a glove like fit while still having a little protection.


On the inside of the shoe it's covered with a mesh type material that feels pretty good, but again, doesn't really hold up too well. After 400 miles I'm already having some tearing. Normally I expect around 500 miles out of some trail shoes, but then again, my expectations may be a little high. 


Durability: 3/5
Well, after 400 of some solid running I've started noticing that the outsole of the shoe is really wearing down. I don't know what material it's made of but it seems much softer than what the MT100 and 101 used. I've recently started running on my heels when doing steep downhills cause my toes were getting jammed into the toebox. I noticed after this transition and post Leona Divide 50M that the material was getting "smashed" down or compacted and was wearing pretty severely. See photos below. The rest of the shoe is very durable and I've had no issues other than the outsole.





Value: 4/5
These shoes are a nice balance between the MT00 and the MT101 prices. I'm happy to see that New Balance didn't try to go and charge $100. With how quickly ultra runners go through shoes, it's much appreciated!

Appearance: 5/5
I actually really like the appearance of these shoes. They come in two different color schemes. One is a very sleek silver metallic color:


 and the other is a black with hints of blue and orange:


I went with the black and love it. It's great that New Balance is getting away from the history of trail shoes being ugly and in neutral colors.

Performance: 5/5
At 7.7oz this shoe has performance. It's light, nimble, flexible, all while providing some descent protection for those rocky trails. It drains well and dries quickly for those fun river crossings and will fly down the mountains at break neck speed. Just hope that your legs can keep up!

The outsole has some descent lugging and has fairly good traction on all types of terrain.


Strengths:
-Light
-Good construction quality
-Great color schemes
-Fits true to size
-Comfortable with or without socks
-Fast!

Weaknesses:
-Outsole durability

Summary:
The New Balance MT110 is a great racing shoe that definitely has the durability for the long haul. Unfortunately, I can't say that it's an improvement over the MT101. I really do wish they'd continued production of the MT101 for training purposes and left the MT110 for racing. I'll definitely continue to buy the MT110, but due to the poor durability of the outsole holding up to downhill pounding, I'll limit my training in it. Of all the New Balance trail shoes I've worn I'd definitely say that this is one of the best looking shoes they've produced, so big props there. All in all, I wouldn't expect to get some massive overall mileage in this shoe, but if your form is pretty strong it's possible you could run it into the ground.

New Balance is about to release the MT1010 in August 2012, which I think will deal with the issue I'm having with the outsole durability. I'm looking forward to trying it out and comparing the differences.


If you're interested in buying the shoe or seeing what New Balance has to say about it you can check it out HERE. I bought mine from Sun & Ski Sports in Frisco, Texas.

As always, I'm no shoe expert so take my reviews with a grain of salt and try these products for yourself! If you have any specific questions feel free to email me or post a comment below. Now get out there and run!

_Jacob_

2 comments:

  1. So do they get real funky if you run in them without socks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do they get real funky if you run in them without socks?

    ReplyDelete