Tuesday, February 28, 2012

PLAIN 100 Part II : Training

So ever since I pretty much left the "triathlon scene" I haven't been a big fan of really structured training. (I'm convinced my uber obsessed Hawaii training left a bitter taste in my legs?) Last summer training for the AT100 was the first time I'd written a plan in probably 3 years.

Since then, I've pretty much just tried to maintain my base, throw in a few "speed" runs and race when I feel like it, or the schedule/wife allows :)

While I'm not specifically training for PLAIN just yet, I am training for certain aspects of the race.

For example, I've borrowed a Nathan hydration pack from a friend and have now done two separate runs with it. Before Sunday, I'd never ONCE run with a hydration pack of any sort. I've always been as minimal as possible, but the PLAIN course will have none of that.

I've decided to start doing 2-3 long runs a month with the hydration pack filled all the way up (70oz) and then carry my handhelds as well. This is to help simulate the 14 mile section of trail that I'll have to cover with no chance for water and a ~5,000ft climb. For that section of trail I'm planning on carrying ~120oz of water, and the pack will be it's heaviest when I start the climb.

Surprisingly, the pack is a delight to run with! After a mile or two it feels completely comfortable, and is (dare I say it) almost comforting?  Once my handheld bottle was empty I stashed it on the back of the pack and it fit perfectly!!!


I plan on trying to nail down the specific equipment I'll be using sometime this summer, and training at least 3-4 months with the exact equipment I plan on doing PLAIN with. No surprises come September 2nd.

The run today was only 18 miles, but I carried all my supplies, stashed no water on the course, and had a wonderful time. Unfortunately it's still really mild in north Texas, but hopefully that will change in a few months and we'll be back in the 100s in no time.

The section of trail I ran today is my hidden little gem. It's the Knob Hills trail connected with the Cross Timbers equestrian trail.


One trail doesn't allow horses, the other trail doesn't allow bikes, but both trails allow foot traffic. That's me! The single track today was fantastic.




My running mileage is still pretty low compared to what I'd like to be doing, but my first week back from injury I logged 36 miles, 51 miles the following week (with a trail marathon), then an easy 41 miles last week. This week I'm looking at logging a little over 60 miles with the 50K I'm racing this weekend.

I'm still really timid and afraid that the extensor tendinitis is going to come roaring back, but for now I'm just gonna keep doing what I do.



More photos from my training adventures here.

Today just reinforced my pure love for running on the trails. The raw nature of running on the grass, dirt, through the creeks, and through the trees. Over the past 2 years running has transformed into something that I never imagined it could be...

_Jacob_

An oldie, but a goodie.

5 comments:

  1. Jacob,

    Do you happen to know what Nathan model that is? Thanks, looking for a pack for a R2R2R in April, my Ultimate Direction Wasp is chafing my neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eugene,

      It's the Nathan HP 020. I'm posting a below to the model on Amazon. Looks like it's only $58!!

      http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-HPL-020-Race-Vest/dp/B0054P0RSQ

      Good luck with your R2R2R run! I've been wanting to do that for years and hope to do it soon.

      Jacob

      Delete
  2. I think it is good that you are going the HR camp this July. You'll get to experience insane climbs and can practice going for hours without replenishing water with a pack (as long as you don't take from the creeks). There are lots of trails that require routefinding, too. And, hopefully, you will get to pace someone for a night portion as that will help with routefinding. I don't know what your backcountry experience is and map skills, but from what I understand, Plain is about hydration and route finding(especially at night!). Olga and I can put you in contact with a few folks who have completed Plain if you'd like to pick their brains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Olga and I" (I believe it means moi?) can, of course, do that:) Or may be it's better to just jump in feet first and see it for yourself. Adventure in its best.

      Delete