Friday, August 19, 2011

Legitamite 100 miler training??

I read about people running 100 milers on training weeks of 50 or so miles.... Then again I've also read about people logging weeks of 120+ miles.

For me I've finally come to a period in my training that actually feels like training again. For the first time in almost two years I wrote a "training" plan (even thought it's still pretty loose), and I've penciled in a maximum week of around 85 miles.

This past week after the most recent 60K race, I logged 10 miles every single day for a weekly total of around 72.5 miles. While this isn't that big of mileage, I think the back to back to back 10 milers really started to wear on me. By the time I made it to the 8th day I was planning an easy 22 mile trail run. Unfortunately this run turned ugly real quick and not necessarily because the legs weren't cooperating!

I got out to the Northshore trail around 9:15 and was on the trail heading to far gate by 9:30AM. About 35-40 minutes in I smack my head on something and split my left eyebrow open. Blood. Everywhere.

I couldn't actually see the wound so when I finally ran up on someone I asked them to take a look at it. She immediately said I should go the ER cause I was gonna need stitches. I figured she was over reacting (which she was) and decided to at least finish up the loop I was on. I continued out to far gate, turned around and began my run back to MADD where the car was parked.


After about 40-45 minutes the thing finally stopped flowing blood but my bottle was stained pretty good and my hand smelled funny cause the dried blood. I was slightly concerned but figured I could take a photo when I got back to the car, send it to Courtney and she what she had to say.

Once back at the car I sent her a photo and she of course said I should probably go the ER. I told her I would call her back after contemplating my options. Of course I decided to continue on with my run cause I had 22 miles to finish up! Long story short about 15 minutes-20 minutes later I was feeling light headed and my legs were feeling pretty fried. At the Murrel park entrance I decided to walk it back to the car and head home to clean my head up.

I ended up not needing stitches but it was awfully inconvenient and a mess to clean up.


Since I missed the extra 10 miles I had planned, I had to adjust the schedule for the rest of the week. I'm aiming at another 75 miles this week, and then taking it REALLY easy next week to get ready for the last 60K and give my legs some rest before my final build to the AT100.

Once I get done with that last 60K, I'm planning a week of 60ish miles, 75ish miles, then topping out at 85ish miles with a two week drastic taper. My body overall is reacting well to the mileage and cooperating with me.

I finally replaced my old Newtons that had about 650 miles on them and I'm now adjusting to having a brand new pair. It feels SO foreign after running in that old beat up pair for so long. It seems that lately my feet are getting more and more sore, so I've been giving them a nice ice bath after long hard runs.




I ran 15 miles this afternoon before I came into work and when I get off this morning I'm planning on getting in another 10, then 8 trail miles this afternoon before we head down to the in-laws this weekend. I'm looking forward to the easy week next week, but even more so I'm looking forward to the AT100. I'm meeting up with my EPIC crew this Tuesday to do some prelimary planning. We'll go over some course maps, drop bags, aid, etc. so they have an idea of what my plans/goals are.

Speaking of goals anyone wanna take a stab at my Best case/Happy case/satisfied case times are?? ;)

Lastly I've been doing reasearch on a R2R2R run. Anyone have any experience with this? It looks like I may go solo (which is kinda what I'd like to do), but would love any input. I'm well aware of how dangerous it is to do a run like that solo, but I know what I'm getting myself into.

I hope I haven't posted this song before. If I have it gets better with time. Listen to the whole thing, with good headphones if you have them.

Hopefully I'll get another post next week before the next 60K, but if not I'll see you guys on the flipside. After that keep an eye out for part II of my nutrition debacle!

-Jacob

1 comment:

  1. If you run 10 miles a day, day in day out, you'll be good at running 10 miles, and not trained for specificity. Variation is the key to get better. Long day/short, hard/easy, hilly/flat...
    I'll take a stub at AT100. If you maintain hydration/fueling and suck up on mental bonks (they will happen!), shoot for 23hrs.
    R2R2R had tons of report if you google it. Tons of info around. Nothing crazy to know besides water locations, and be prepared to have dead legs hiking back out:)We're having another go at the end of October.

    ReplyDelete