Friday, August 26, 2011

It's not easy to be a Kenyan runner....

Boy, the other night I was browsing my news feed on Facebook and came across an article a friend posted.

The article/blog was called, "It's not easy to be a Kenyan runner". I clicked on it expecting some American writer try to explain how life in Kenya is difficult, etc etc. Well I was quickly surprised to see it was written by a very accomplished Kenyan runner.

The article was breath taking, heart breaking, and completely inspiring all at the same time.

A line that stuck out to me the first time reading it is quoted below.

"I hate running but I love what it does for me when I win or make money out of it."
-Kiplimo Chemirmir

When I read this I realized something. Sometimes I TOTALLY hate running! haha. It's SO true! I know we've all been there. Regardless, I absolutely love the satisfaction I get. The accomplishment, and the fact that no one makes me do it. It's my choice. No one cares if I finish that tough 2 hour run, or the long 6 hr Monday morning trail shuffle.

I hope that you'll read this article and really take the time to read it all. CLICK HERE to go straight to the article.

I've always thought about trying to write one of those heartfelt blog posts about "Why I Run".... but I honestly don't think I know why enough to write an entire blog post.

What I do know is that I love the solitude of trail running and racing. I love the fact that no matter where you place in the field (first or DFL) you'll have the same crowd at the finish. I love the fact that I can cross the line and be offered two or three beers within two minutes. I love the fact that there's not any hype. It's just us, the trails, and the distance.

Why do I run? I really have no clue. I guess it's because I started and can't stop.

Running chose me.

Now listen to this music video I found and totally jam out. Get some good headphones, some coffee, and think.


-Jacob

4 comments:

  1. Dude, best article I ever read, and I am not even finished yet. Seriously.
    How was your race and the trilogy placing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read that article 3-4 times now! Really changes the way I look at running and why I do it.

    The race was good! Ended up 7th-8th OA and 3rd in the series! No nutrition problems and even pacing the entire time. All my laps were withing 2-3 minutes of each other.

    Looks like Larry had a good race! Shame I didn't see you guys afterwards!

    ReplyDelete