Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My doubts about running 100 miles...

Normally, I'm not scared of anything.

But, when I think about running 100 miles I now get scared. Yep, I said it. Scared. I can, and have "faked" my way through every other distance out there, but running 100 miles is not something you can just "fake" your way through.

I'm confident that I can finish a 100 mile run, but I think it's the fact that I'm pretty sure what I'm in for when I do try to finish one. So far this year I've run three 50 milers. Each one, getting progressively harder. With each one, I feel my performance got worse and worse.

Over the next few weeks/months I'm really going to work hard on getting back into the mindset of "training", something I've slowly worked my way away from. Too me, I've found SO much joy in just doing whatever I feel like when I feel like it. (not that I'm not going to be having fun as I train for my 100 miler)

The biggest problem I've had lately with my 50 milers is this odd sensation/feeling of not being able to eat ANYTHING. The thought of putting any food in my mouth at all makes me want to throw up. I've convinced myself that it's time I venture away from eating gels anymore, and try other things. I will definitely be trying different things as I train my way to the Arkansas Traveller 100 miler.

My question to any of my fellow readers/ultra runners (especially those of you with experience) is, have you ever experienced the sensation I'm speaking of? Is it possible that it's due to dehyrdation, or too much hydration??? I've definitely got to get this figured out before Arkansas, in October.

This Monday I had a great run on the Northshore trail at lake Grapevine. Got a nice 22-23 miles in, with some pretty oppressive heat. I experimented a little bit with Sport Beans (which I've tried before) and enjoyed them. The packs are only 100 calories a piece so I'll have to work with that and see what I feel I need an each hour to sustain myself for around 24hrs.

Any advice is much appreciated!! Hope everyone is training hard and living harder :) Also, if anyone would ever like to trail run in the DFW area just let me know!

_Jacob_

No comments:

Post a Comment