Thursday, February 3, 2011

Double Iron Training VS. Ice Storm 2011

What an unbelievable past month or so!! Since my last post I've gotten MARRIED to the most incredible person ever. We had our wedding on January 8th, in downtown Dallas at First Baptist Dallas, then had an incredible reception at the Crescent Hotel just across the highway. I'll get a few pics up ASAP :)


After the wedding, the next morning we caught a 9am flight to Ft. Lauderdale for a 7 night Celebrity Cruise to Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. We had an absolutely incredible time. We both said that we would never ever cruise, but after doing the research, I quickly realized it was the best bang for the buck and required the least amount of thinking once on board. We both wanted something relaxing, and this cruise was exactly that!



Let me tell you cruises are exactly what you make them, but there are a few things that you need to know before cruising! ALL YOU DO, is EAT, SLEEP, and .... well, whatever else you'd like to do ;) I'm fairly certain I gained about 8-10lbs. I tried to work out a bit, but it was pretty hopeless. I took it as a great, relaxing, recovery week.

Now, on to the fun stuff. My double iron is in just over a month. (32 days?) As most everyone knows I've been taking the "Less is more" approach the past few years. I haven't written any type of training plan in over 2 years. I just wake up and do the workout I feel like doing.... or whatever workout my body and time will allow!

I know good and well I don't have the time to train properly for a double Iron so I'm just doing the best I can :) I'm not too concerned about my run. I've already run over 27 miles twice this year. January 1st I ran my own marathon around Plano, then three weeks later ran the same course around Plano again. Both felt good. Back in early January I also swim 6,500 yards for the first time. That also felt pretty good and gave me more confidence that I could easily finish the 4.8 mile swim in under 2:30. Yesterday I found out that my local pool was open so I headed down there to get in a 7,050 yard swim in 2:00:19 which ended up being a 1:43/100yrd pace. 10 seconds per 100 yards faster than my 6,500yrd swim and I actually felt much better.

My bike is a whole different story. I haven't even come close to the 12 hour mark on the bike. The biggest volume I've put in bike was was 17 hours in 7 days. This weekend I did one four hour day, followed by another three hour day. To people actually "racing" the double (whatever that means), this may seem alarming, but I'm confident I'll be able to finish sub 36 hours which is the goal after all.

Here's a vid of my four hour trainer session in the garage!



Last but not least, this weather has been insane. Last Saturday the high was around 75 degrees and two days later we were in the middle of a sleet thunderstorm with the windchill below ZERO! I'm going to try and get some running in this weekend, but with all the ice outside I'm not taking any unnecessary risks! Here's a quick pick of the parking lot at the place I swim:


I hope everyone is staying warm out there! I've gotta go hop on the trainer and get some more hours in!! :)
_Jacob_

No comments:

Post a Comment