Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Trail recon and the dentist...

First off, let me start this post by saying...

GO MAVS!!! I'm am so proud of that team. I've been watching them play for the past 8 years or so pretty regularly and it's amazing to see how they've developed. Two more wins and we've got the championship!!!

Ok, so back to my original post. Sometimes I have trouble coming up with some blogging material, but when I do I always go through the photos on my phone and end up blogging about what I've taken photos of, cause I figure if it was important enough for me to take photos of, it's important enough for me to blog about!

I don't know if I mentioned it yet or not but for a few years now I've had this little idea in the back of my head to try and organize a trail run all the way around Lake Grapevine here in North Texas. The distance would be 100K and utilize as much trail as I can find. There are multiple known trails around the lake maintained by DORBA (The Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association). There are also multiple Equestrian trails that I've discovered that I recently had no idea existed! This was really exciting to me, and I've been doing a lot of exploring around the lake in search of these trails.

I've since mapped the entire North side of the lake and all but 2-3 miles of it is going to be run on trails! albeit some overgrown trails ;) This past Monday I finally ventured to the South side of the lake (the Grapevine side) and did more exploring. Here are a few photos from Monday.



My exploring is coming together well and I'm hoping to have this thing ready to go/race come the fall. I've also got a website up for the "race" and will be sharing that as soon as I have an official course ready to go!

In race news I'm heading up over to Abilene again this year for the 2nd Annual Summer Solstice 6hr run! Last year I took 2nd place and this year I'd love to get the win! Just like last year, I'm again going for the 40 mile mark. Last year I fell short with only 36 miles. My training is going well, but I haven't been able to get the kind of distance down the past two weeks like I was hoping to, due to all my trail exploring. I'm hoping that I can get 20 miles in someday this week or next plus a few 16-10 milers.

With that said the HEAT is on in Texas! (And I don't mean the Miami Heat!) My grandmother bought Courtney and I an "Atomic clock" a few months ago and I put it up in the garage. This thing has a thermometer which is awesome for me. Now when I head out for my runs I can tell how warm it is outside and the temp in the garage! Lately it's been reading around 98-102 when I start my runs at 3:30-4:00pm.


Since I work nights as most of you know I end up doing my workouts around 3:30-4:00pm everyday. This means that I've adapted VERY well to the heat we get in Texas during the summers. If any of you are getting out in this heat be sure that you're carrying water with you regardless of the distance! You also need to invest in some kind of electrolyte replacement/Salt mix. I've been using Gatorade Endurance for years now and it's my miracle drug. It has just enough salt to keep me from cramping and being in powder form I can mix it as weak or strong as I like. Whatever you do, DON'T underestimate your body's need for salt and water while exercising in the heat.

In trying to stick to the title of the blog I've got to mention my trip to the dentist. Growing up I was the kid that NEVER got cavities. Heck, I didn't get my first cavity till a year or so ago!! And not only did I have a cavity I had like five. YES... FIVE. I couldn't believe it. Well, this past week I had to make another trip back to the dentist to have another filling put in and I couldn't help but snap a quick photo while in the hot seat.


I used to love going to the dentist. Now I just dread it cause I know they're gonna tell me to get off the gels and gatorade :)

I'm still working on a new product review. I've been running in my New Balance Minimus trail shoe for about 60 miles now and want to hold off on doing a review until I get closer to 100 miles. I've jumped the gun on product reviews before and don't want that to be the case here. Be looking for it in the next few weeks!

Last two things here, first I want to share a website with you. The church I attend mentions this website every once in awhile and I finally got the chance to check it out. If you're at all curious about Christianity and what it really is, or just a believer looking to grow more in your faith check it out. It's called The Resurgence.

Lastly I want to share a music video with you. I've been listening to this band for years and I've recently been listening to this song quite a bit. Hope you enjoy!

_Jacob_

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,Jang,Nawaiwaqt,Express Jobs ads in Pakistan with all paper admission,careers and Classified Ads http://allpkjobz.blogspot.com/ provides all Ads for University,college,business and jobs in Pakistan as daily from dawn news paper and Jang newspaper

    ReplyDelete