Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Meat Pie Tri Weekend!!

Well I'm now done with my final race before Hawaii! This weekend Courtney and I drove down to Louisiana so I could do the Louisiana State Championship Tri (Meat Pie Tri) so that I could hopefully get those 100 points its worth.

Since I'm trying to place 1st in my AG for the Region and get my regional elite I need these points! After the dissapointment I dealt with at Route 66 I really want to get a win and move up in the rankings.

We arrived in nachitoches (Sp?) around 6:30ish on Saturday. We checked out the race site, found our hotel, grabbed some grilled chicken at Chilis and headed back to the hotel to get some sleep. The alarm went off the next morning around 4:30 and we headed off to the race site. Pre race went well. I grabbed my packet and set everything up after a quick 15min WU ride on the run course. I found out a few minutes before the race that it was wetsuit legal by about .5 of a degree! Ha. Of course I didnt have a wetsuit... but on the upside I was getting more practice with my friend Scotts Blue Seventy Speedsuit, which i've totally fallen in love with :) The swim was a time trial start meaning everyone formed a massive line starting with the lowest and going one by one every 3-5 seconds. I went in 18th and came out 2nd! Wow. What a solid swim. Ran into transition to discover my chip was no longer on my ankle.. As I ran out of transition in second I told the timing guy at the mat that I didnt have a chip and that I was number 18.

I knew who was off in first and really worked to catch him. Unfortunately I never did, and since I dont have any splits other than the ones I got (which was only for my 5K) I have no idea if I actually gained on first or not. T2 went way smoother than I thought it would and I was off. My 5K was SMOKIN... It was somewhere from 17:59-18:01. Regardless thats a 5:48 pace and almost a PR (including my stand alone!). After checking out the results that was about a minute faster than the second 5K split. So I really gained some ground here, which is where I normally lose races.

Once results were up I saw that I ended up in 3rd overall and first Age group by 10mins! Since I was in the top 3 I got an overall award which was a beach towel and a free pair of Brooks running shoes. (which I'm probably going to sell on Ebay since I wear Newtons)

As far as points go I didnt get the 100 I wanted but I did end up with 97.9. After doing some calculations, those points put me in 9th overall and 1st age group with 95.0 points. Unfortunately I also realized that had the Route 66 racing staff put a turnaround cone on their bike course I would have gotten 100 points and my total now would be 98.66 which means i'd be in 2nd OVERALL. (Thats overall hardware by the way) So its a little bitter sweet right now. None the less its a lot of motivation to get out there and kick some ass next year in the points so I can get up there in the overall.

In other news KONA IS LESS THAN 3 WEEKS AWAY!!! I leave in TWO WEEKS! wow. Its really starting to sink in. I still dont think that my body has realized its going to be doing an Ironman distance race that soon though... which could be a good thing I guess? :) This is my last 20+ hour training week so I'm really going to focus on getting those quality workouts and just staying relaxed.

Ill post my Meat Pie Tri race report as soon as I get it done!

Back to finishing up some homework...

Click here for the MeatPie Tri RESULTS if you wanna see the overall!

Have a good week! :)

_Jacob_

No comments:

Post a Comment