Friday, October 2, 2009

Sick and Racing = ?

Not much has been going on lately other than more student teaching and my final triathlon of the year. The triathlon was the SMW Regional Texas State Championship. I've had my sights set on winning this race all season long. After I won my first OK State Championship, then took second overall at the next two I felt confident I could win the Texas State Championship and end up with 100+ points overall in the SMW region.

Coming into the race I had 98.5 points which was and is good enough for 1st overall triathlete. Unfortunately a week before the race I came down with what I'm guessing was Bronchitis or some sort of flu type infection. I immediately took some time off from exercise to help my body fight the infection. I attempted to cycle a few days later and made it about 30 mins before I came home. I ended up taking the rest of the week off till that Friday where I ran about 3 miles. I was still feeling pretty bad and had a wicked bad cough. By Saturday I was feeling much better, but was definitely not 100%. I went and picked up my packet for the race on Sunday and started prepping for the race.

Sunday morning came and I was feeling confident. Well as soon as I got out of the water and started the bike ride I KNEW that something was seriously wrong. I had ZERO energy and felt really lethargic. I kept trying to push the pace but just couldnt get anything done. I was getting passed by people on road bikes, which is unheard of for me. Long story short, the race was a disaster and I ended up like 12-14 overall. After such a solid triathlon season this race was a horrible way to end the year.

Everyone has been really supportive about the race and keep trying to tell me how 12-14 overall is still good, but honestly when looking at my previous results, I have a reason to really ashamed and embarassed regardless of my illness. I'm well aware that the illness was the problem, and the fact that I had to take 6 days completely off, but it was still really hard to watch those guys pass me.

Now regardless of my finish I believe that I'm going to be able to hang on to first overall in the region. That was my goal coming into this season, and I'd like nothing more than to be able to keep it.

After the horrific race on Sunday I decided I needed to just do what I love doing, so I strapped on my fivefingers and went for a few trail runs. Ended up doing 8 miles on Monday, 6 on Tuesday, 9 on Wed, and 19! on Thursday. Most I've run since Where's Waldo, and man did it feel gooood.

I'm just going to take it easy for awhile and do what I feel like doing. I don't have anymore big races this season. I will be doing the Boston Marathon, but the bigger race to me will be the Rocky Raccoon 100 in February. I'm 99.99% sure I'm doing that race. All I've got to do now is get the entry fee!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, and staying healthy! The swine flu is making it's comeback in North Texas....

I wanted to share a quick quote with everyone that I recently read on an ultra runners blog.

"I know this might sound like a lot of emotional, sappy, hippy bull shit but I would challenge anyone to give it a try and see what you find out. Throw away your training schedule, find a mountain and run up it. The next day find another mountain and run up it. Once you fall in love with doing that share this love with others. It can be that simple."

-Geoff Roes, Ultra-runner

That quote really hits home. The entire blog can be found by clicking HERE.

_Jacob_

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog very much.I'm waiting for your new posts.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete