Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Benbrook Sprint Triathlon

Benbrook Sprint Triathlon
300y - 13.8 - 5K


Swim 300y -> 4:26 (1:36/y)

T1 -> 39.7

Bike 13.8 -> 36:57 (22.4 mph)

T2 -> 40.9

Run 5K -> 20:28 (6:35/m)

Total Time: 1:03:12

4th Overall Day 2 of 200
8th Overall both days combined of 435
1st AG of 20

http://www.doitsports.com/newresults3/client/43438_196791_2007.html


Man. Really solid race. To be completely honest a bit dissapointed with my run split but man it was windy. The whole day the wind just kept pushing back. Was really satisfied w/ my bike split. Still wish I had beat Aaron :D Took fourth overall that day and missed 3rd by ONE SECOND!! :( Was my first pool swim so im still pretty satisfied. The swim wasnt too bad. I actually had one of the better swim splits.

RACE SUMMARY:

Swim:
We all came in through the front door of the Y. We lined up in our numbered order and I was 21st. We went off every 10 seconds. I had gotten new goggles the day before so I was still a bit nervous about using them. I had jumped in the pool earlier that morning to warm up and try the goggles. Felt really good w/ them earlier.
So ester counted me off and I jumped in. Had already practiced this so I was ready. I jumped and then pushed off the wall unlike everyone else who just jumped in w/ no clue :-/ We had to come back in the same lane that we jumped in and that was a bit nerve wrecking. I flip turned under most the lanes and flip turned off every wall at the ends of the pool. Passed the guy in front of me after almost swimming into him. I kept touching his feet and I thought he was gonna let me pass... Well.. He didnt. I went to flip turn under the rope and almost bashed his face. He kept going right in front of me so I passed him 3 lanes into the swim. Someone was coming the other direction so I went totally sideways and squeezed between everyone. From there on it was smooth sailing. Hit the ladder and I was out. Goggles were off by the time my feet were running. Came outside the building and heard Aaron shout my name. Was cool hearing the arch-rival throw a little support. At some point I heard Sydney saying something.

T1:
Almost slipped coming into T1. Found my rack right away, helmet on and was off. Halfway through transition I hear someone shout #! I had just realized what they meant because I heard this funny sound. I looked down and my number was rubbing my disk. Apparently I had forgotten to put my number on! ha. Got it on and I was off. Good mount. First race sockless. Felt great.

Bike:
13.8 mile bike. Got into my shoes and was off. My mount was great. Really smooth. I had my sunglasses on and it was a bit dark. Right out of transition I wasnt too sure where the course was going. I just followed the person in front of me. First thing I noticed was how damn windy it was. About 1-2 miles into the ride I had already passed two people. Turned out to be the only people I would pass. No one passed me on the bike. Rode by the lake most the time. Roads were pretty decent. We got to im guessing mile 7ish and went up a pretty nice hill. Not much of a hill to me. :D Stayed in the big chain ring and got to the top to pass someone else. Hit the turn around and went back up the other side of the hill. I thought I could pass the people in front of me but apparently they were cranking away. Never caught anyone else. Had a pretty good bike on the way back. Almost got knocked off my bike a few times cause it was so damn windy! Going 40+ mph downhill w/ a sidewind was crazy. I took my feet out a bit too early coming into transition. :( Probably would have taken 3rd if I wouldnt have done that. Came into transition, dismounted really smoothly and was off.

T2:
T2 was semi-rough. Like I said was my first race w/o socks and had a bit of trouble getting my shoes on... but I had practiced the night before and was slightly expecting it. :-/ Forgot my visor, but kept my sunglasses on.

Run:
Started the run and felt a little crappy. Took me a bit to find myself. Came out of the parking lot and decided to pull my sunglasses up. Was too dark. Took a right onto this one road and could see someone a ways up infront of me. I made it my personal goal to catch them. At about mile 1 I thought I would catch this one guy. Grabbed some water at the aid station and kept moving. No nutrition the entire race except for eccelerade on the bike. Which I almost threw up by the way. Ha. We hit this straight away by this damn. We came all the way to the end and had to turn around. So when we turned around I got a pretty good idea of how close I was to cathing this guy. It was then I realized I could catch the guy infront of him. Was feeling alot better by this point. We turned around and came back onto that straight away. I saw the guy look behind him and I knew I would then catch him. He accelerated to try and get away. Held it pretty good but I finally got him. We were now seeing people coming the other direction and saw aaron. Came back by the aid station and had to go down to another turn around. I could now see the other guy up a ways. He was apparently cramping pretty bad cause I saw him walking a bit earlier. We turned around and I was coming up on him. Finally on the last climb w/ less than .5 to go I took him. Came up the small incline and headed past mile 3. Came into the parking lot and made a nice sprint to the finish. At about mile 2 I realized my shoes were rubbing pretty bad on my heel. Didnt feel too good. :-/

Post Race:
Sydney and her friend were waiting at the finish line. Said hey to them and talked to friends that had finished. Was Aaron and Rick come in. Both looked strong. Talked to Jason a bit. He had a solid race. Results got posted and thats when I realized Rick beat me by 1 second! Ahhhh!! That stupid choice to get out of my shoes early. None the less... I grabbed some Endurox and waited for awards. Turns out that Tyler and Aaron raced both days and I took them both in the AG awards. 1st AG of 20 :D Pretty satisfied w/ that. A win is a win.

After the raced I dropped my bike w/ disk off at B&B. Got my QR lucero in and they're putting it together right now. Gonna get to get fitted on Tues. Hopefully get a nice little ride in and find a comfortable position. Pictures soon to come. :D

"A win is a win"

_Jacob_


No comments:

Post a Comment